Public Education Advocacy and Faith: Why The Church Should Care
Wednesday, September 16, 2020 7-8:30pm
Format: Zoom (link sent when you register on Eventbrite)
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/310285970319392/
Website Event Page: https://pastorsforncchildren.org/home/events/forum916/
Moderators: Tom and Rev. Lib Campbell (Tom is host of NC Spin on WUNC and Rev. Lib is a retired UMC Pastor)
· The Rev. Paul Robeson Ford, Senior Pastor at First Baptist Church Highland Ave, Winston-Salem
· Lynn Edmonds, Outreach Director at Public Schools First NC
· Kris Nordstrom, Senior Analyst, Education and Law Project at NC Justice Center
· Explain why the church should care about equity in public schools
· Learn about the Leandro Case and public school critical issues through a historical overview
· Discuss steps being taken to fulfill the Leandro Case
· Consider actions to accomplish the vision of every child in North Carolina having a sound basic education through public education
· Pray for each of us as we make decisions for the future of public education in North Carolina
· Close with a blessing for public schools, teachers and students in the midst of our current health crisis
Resources for Vital Congregations
GBHEM Leadership Resources
A Disciple’s Path; A Guide for United Methodist
RESOURCES TO CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY:
The Appalachian District Church Vitality Team has been prayerfully seeking ways to help support you and the ministries of your local congregation during this COVID-19 pandemic. Together they have diligently researched and connected with others throughout the conference and our denomination to identify resources and offer them to you. We hope they will be helpful to you and bless you greatly in leading your churches and communities through this unprecedented time. We are very grateful to the District Vitality Team and other contributors for their great work on this resource.
This faithful team has created three documents, two of which you are receiving today. They include:
- Family Home Worship – designed to help families establish a regular worship space within their homes as well as a time where they can worship together.
- Tech Strategies – to help guide you in selecting effective tools and resources within your budget to best communicate in the digital world.
We believe these resources will be of great benefit to you. Also know that the District Vitality Team is available to answer any questions you might have in regards to the documents attached. If you have questions, you may email Rev. Howard Fleming at email@example.com.