Brooks-Howell Home shares latest news
- We now have an upgraded Beauty Shop so that our residents can look even more fabulous! We have completely renovated the room, adding new chairs and hair dryers. There is even a Nail Salon and Sewing Room.
- Our brand new Employee Break provides employees with a place to escape during their meals and breaks. It is spacious and quiet, and our staff is enjoying its many convenient features.
- Our Health and Wellness Clinic is now open and serves our residents, and staff. It is managed by our medical director, Dr. Enrique Varela and Sylvia Ellis, AGNP.
- WIFI Service is now available to our residents and their guests. Internet access is available in any building on the property.
Our last bit of news is probably our most important announcement yet. We are very proud to announce that we obtained Board of Director approval to expand our admission criteria for Independent Residents! United Methodist Church members who have served the church for more than 10 years are now eligible to live At Brooks-Howell. This presents an opportunity for many faithful United Methodist Church members who were previously not eligible. We hope that you will help us spread the word to those who could benefit from living here and contribute to the rich history and continuing legacy of Brooks-Howell.
We are now open to the following:
1. Deaconesses or missionaries related to the Women’s Division of the Board of Missions of the Methodist Church as of 1964, or a missionary of the Evangelical United Brethren Church commissioned prior to Union in 1968. (Those with more than 15 years of service may be eligible for special rates.)
2. Individuals must be at least 62 years of age. If a couple, one must meet one of the criteria below and be at least 62 years of age.
- Deaconesses, Home Missioners, and Missionaries
- United Methodist Women Staff
- United Methodist Women Directors
- United Methodist Church and Community Workers
- Scarritt-Bennett Colleges/Center personnel and staff
- GBGM mission personnel and staff
- United Methodist National Mission Institution personnel and staff
- Volunteers in Mission personnel and staff
- Volunteers in Mission with 10 or more years of volunteer service
- Church World Services personnel and staff
- Members of other mission Boards with United Methodist relationships
- United Methodist clergy and spouses
- United Methodist Church members who have served the church for more than 10 years.
- Mission personnel from other denominations approved by United Methodist Women Directors on a case-by-case basis
Although we have many new and exciting announcements, please don’t forget about our other classic amenities. These include our heated aqua-therapy pool, expansive library, activities building, onsite physical therapy, our beautiful gardens, and or course our convenient location: within walking distance of the bustling Downtown Asheville!
Resources for Vital Congregations
GBHEM Leadership Resources
A Disciple’s Path; A Guide for United Methodist
RESOURCES TO CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY:
The Appalachian District Church Vitality Team has been prayerfully seeking ways to help support you and the ministries of your local congregation during this COVID-19 pandemic. Together they have diligently researched and connected with others throughout the conference and our denomination to identify resources and offer them to you. We hope they will be helpful to you and bless you greatly in leading your churches and communities through this unprecedented time. We are very grateful to the District Vitality Team and other contributors for their great work on this resource.
This faithful team has created three documents, two of which you are receiving today. They include:
- Family Home Worship – designed to help families establish a regular worship space within their homes as well as a time where they can worship together.
- Tech Strategies – to help guide you in selecting effective tools and resources within your budget to best communicate in the digital world.
We believe these resources will be of great benefit to you. Also know that the District Vitality Team is available to answer any questions you might have in regards to the documents attached. If you have questions, you may email Rev. Howard Fleming at email@example.com.