Amplify Live: Justice or Just Us? The Biblical Call to Confront Racism
A conversation with pastors Jevon Caldwell-Gross, Nicole Caldwell-Gross, and Rob Fuquay
Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 2:00pm CST
Justice or Just Us? explores what it means to be a faith community that’s committed to anti-racist and justice-seeking work. Pastors Jevon Caldwell-Gross, Nicole Caldwell-Gross, and Rob Fuquay – who all serve at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church in Indianapolis, Indiana – developed this four-week study based on their experiences in leading the church to confront racism.
In this special conversation, they will discuss the events in their lives, at their church, and in our country that led to this commitment at St. Luke’s, and they will help us understand our Christian responsibility to oppose racism as individuals and as the church. They will cover topics such as:
- The cognitive dissonance between the church’s history of racism and our Christian call for racial justice,
- The differences between biblical justice and social activism,
- Jesus’ righteous anger and his willingness to challenge harmful structures and systems,
- The roles we individually and collectively play in perpetuating racism, and
- Strategies for starting an anti-racism movement in your own communities.
Amplify Live is a new webinar series where you get an insider’s look at what inspires your favorite leaders. This episode will be broadcast live so that you have a chance to ask Jevon, Nicole, and Rob questions about their experiences of leading their church toward a more biblical understanding of justice and racial equality.
For more information and registration, visit: https://amplifymedia.com/amplify-live/
Resources for Vital Congregations
GBHEM Leadership Resources
A Disciple’s Path; A Guide for United Methodist
RESOURCES TO CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY:
The Appalachian District Church Vitality Team has been prayerfully seeking ways to help support you and the ministries of your local congregation during this COVID-19 pandemic. Together they have diligently researched and connected with others throughout the conference and our denomination to identify resources and offer them to you. We hope they will be helpful to you and bless you greatly in leading your churches and communities through this unprecedented time. We are very grateful to the District Vitality Team and other contributors for their great work on this resource.
This faithful team has created three documents, two of which you are receiving today. They include:
- Family Home Worship – designed to help families establish a regular worship space within their homes as well as a time where they can worship together.
- Tech Strategies – to help guide you in selecting effective tools and resources within your budget to best communicate in the digital world.
We believe these resources will be of great benefit to you. Also know that the District Vitality Team is available to answer any questions you might have in regards to the documents attached. If you have questions, you may email Rev. Howard Fleming at email@example.com.