Bishop Leeland and the Committee on Relief- Hurricanes Harvey and Irma
READY YOURSELF Ensure that you and your congregations prepare for potential natural disasters. Know your evacuation routes, secure necessary documents, and review your congregation’s emergency response plans. Read- Local Church Checklist: Are you ready for a disaster? It is also advisable to designate a church member to remain vigilant on the actions of the Western North Carolina Conference. Please take a moment and visit Ready NC to learn more ways to plan and prepare.
DONATE TODAY & THROUGH SUNDAY SPECIAL OFFERINGS Your donations make it possible for Early Response Teams and others aiding in disaster to help survivors immediately. Beyond this, your donation dollars contribute to funding all aspects of disaster response and relief.
- Donations may be made payable to the Western North Carolina Conference, marked “Disaster Response.” PO Box 18005, Charlotte NC 28218
- You may also donate online now.
- Please continue to take special offerings this Sunday and next within your regular times of worship.
VOLUNTEER There are several ways to volunteer in Western North Carolina and areas more significantly impacted. Not all volunteers need training.
- To volunteer, please visit our online form to volunteer. More info here: https://form.jotform.us/72505324945154
- We also offer Early Response Team training that allows groups and individuals to enter disaster zones at the invitation of local emergency management officials. More info here.
WHEN DISASTER STRIKES If a disaster impacts your church or surrounding community, please follow the seven steps outlined in this document. These 12x18 posters are available at the Western North Carolina Conference Center and will be available at your district offices after September 15.
Resources for Vital Congregations
GBHEM Leadership Resources
A Disciple’s Path; A Guide for United Methodist
RESOURCES TO CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY:
The Appalachian District Church Vitality Team has been prayerfully seeking ways to help support you and the ministries of your local congregation during this COVID-19 pandemic. Together they have diligently researched and connected with others throughout the conference and our denomination to identify resources and offer them to you. We hope they will be helpful to you and bless you greatly in leading your churches and communities through this unprecedented time. We are very grateful to the District Vitality Team and other contributors for their great work on this resource.
This faithful team has created three documents, two of which you are receiving today. They include:
- Family Home Worship – designed to help families establish a regular worship space within their homes as well as a time where they can worship together.
- Tech Strategies – to help guide you in selecting effective tools and resources within your budget to best communicate in the digital world.
We believe these resources will be of great benefit to you. Also know that the District Vitality Team is available to answer any questions you might have in regards to the documents attached. If you have questions, you may email Rev. Howard Fleming at email@example.com.