Fresh Expressions Vision Day Recap
A Fresh Expression is a form of church for our changing culture, established primarily for the benefit of people who are not yet members of any church
-It will come into being through the principles of listening, service, incarnational mission and making disciples. - It will have the potential to become a mature expression of church shaped by the gospel and the enduring marks of the church and for its cultural context.[caption id="attachment_9323" align="alignright" width="300"] Michael Beck[/caption] They also outlined the basics of what Fresh Expressions are:
- Fresh Expressions reach out to a changing, diverse culture, putting expressions of church closer to people.
- Connect people in First, Second, Third Spaces (primary places like home and office; secondary places like church and similar organizations; third places like coffee shops, pubs, bookstores, parks, etc.)
- Gather in Smaller Micro-Communities
- With people who are interested in pursuing meaning and purpose
- Not in competition with the existing church, but a complement to it.
- Gathering of large church clergy for conversations about anchoring (sponsoring) Fresh Expressions, missional initiatives, and intentional communities
Thursday, June 1, St. Luke’s UMC Hickory, 10:00 – 2:00 (complimentary lunch) Register with Candy Caron in the Conference Office.
- Annual Conference Fresh Expressions experiential learning opportunities sponsored by WNCC Vitality Team
Yoga Church – hosted by Mouzon UMC Location: Kern Center, Lakeside Porch, Friday June 23, 8:30-9:30 am Registration required (30 spots) www.acyogachurch.eventbrite.com
Kayak Church – hosted by River of Life Location: Kern Center Recreation Hut, Friday, June 23, 12:00-1:15 pm Registration required (30 spots) www.ackayakchurch.eventbrite.com
Pub Church – hosted by King Street Church Location: Boojum Taproom, Waynesville, Saturday, June 24, 6:00-7:00 pm Registration required (20 spots) www.acpubchurch.eventbrite.com
- Fresh Expressions Roundtables to follow-up Salisbury Vision Day; these regional conversations are open to folks interested in starting Fresh Expressions and will be hosted in two locations later this summer, dates and times to be announced. Charlotte: University City UMC High Point: Wesley Memorial UMC
- Fall Vision Day for the western part of WNCC (hosted by Blue Ridge District) Date and place to be announced
- Pioneer Learning Community for those who have attended a Vision Day, Roundtable, or are ready for a peer cohort over several months for Fresh Expressions leadership development To be formed early in 2018
Resources for Vital Congregations
GBHEM Leadership Resources
A Disciple’s Path; A Guide for United Methodist
RESOURCES TO CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY: