Response to flooding in Louisiana
- While at some point flood buckets may be needed, because we currently have about 1,200 flood buckets at the Mission Response Center (MRC) in Terrell, NC, as well as many more in various locations throughout the Southeast, we are being asked not to prepare and send flood buckets at this time, and not until requested by the MRC. UMCOR coordinates transportation of the flood buckets.
- It is too soon for Early Response Teams (ERT’s) to go in to the disaster area. When the Louisiana Conference invites ERT’s to the area, our Conference Disaster Response Team will post that information.
- In the meantime, monetary contributions to UMCOR are welcomed. Please make checks payable to UMCOR (or to your local church, which can then write a single check to UMCOR) and in the memo line for the check(s) to UMCOR write: “Disaster Response, United States (#901670).” Alternatively, checks can be sent directly to the Louisiana Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church, in which case “August 2016 Flood” should be written in the memo field of the check. The mailing address for the latter is: Louisiana Annual Conference, Attn.: Flood Buckets, 527 North Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70802. (Please communicate this information to your church treasurers.)
Resources for Vital Congregations
GBHEM Leadership Resources
A Disciple’s Path; A Guide for United Methodist
RESOURCES TO CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY:
The Appalachian District Church Vitality Team has been prayerfully seeking ways to help support you and the ministries of your local congregation during this COVID-19 pandemic. Together they have diligently researched and connected with others throughout the conference and our denomination to identify resources and offer them to you. We hope they will be helpful to you and bless you greatly in leading your churches and communities through this unprecedented time. We are very grateful to the District Vitality Team and other contributors for their great work on this resource.
This faithful team has created three documents, two of which you are receiving today. They include:
- Family Home Worship – designed to help families establish a regular worship space within their homes as well as a time where they can worship together.
- Tech Strategies – to help guide you in selecting effective tools and resources within your budget to best communicate in the digital world.
We believe these resources will be of great benefit to you. Also know that the District Vitality Team is available to answer any questions you might have in regards to the documents attached. If you have questions, you may email Rev. Howard Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org.