Celebrate "Back-to-School" in your congregation
- Write about Back to School activities in your newsletter, bulletin or outgoing emails.
- Hold a Back to School service, lighting a candle for each school in your area. Consider partnering with other churches for this service.
- Laying hand on teachers and school workers commissioning them for ministry in their work.
- Bless the Backpacks, asking students to come to church with their backpacks one Sunday.
- Invite a teacher or principal to speak briefly at a service or United Methodist Men or Women’s gathering
- Ask everyone who works with children to stand to be recognized during a worship service
- Add a prayer or responsive reading for teachers and students to your worship service
- Send an email or note to your child’s/grandchild’s teacher showing your appreciation
- Ask children in Sunday School classes to make cards for their teachers
- Write an email or letter to your local or state representative expressing your support for strong public education and its importance for all children
- Focus the children's sermon on the importance of teachers and learning
Thank you for the amazing teachers who have given their lives to serve our children. As they prepare for the new year, give them the strength to lead, grace to guide, and hope to thrive. Bless them beyond measure for their willingness to pour into the next generation through education. AmenThe Annual Conferences of both the North Carolina And Western North Carolina Conferences in 2016 approved committees to advocate jointly to develop ways that the value of public education can be promoted and communicated through our churches, districts, and Conferences to the leaders of North Carolina’s government. UMAPS (United Methodist Advocates for Public Schools) Committee is working on ways to support students and honor teachers for the crucial work they do. Thank you for joining us in this effort to celebrate and encourage. Tell us about your events and ideas by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Resources for Vital Congregations
GBHEM Leadership Resources
A Disciple’s Path; A Guide for United Methodist
RESOURCES TO CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY: